Versatile, hearty and pliant, the lettuce wrap might just be the greatest thing since sliced bread. There are plenty of greens besides lettuce to choose from as your wrap material: Swiss chard, collard greens, cabbage leaves and endive, to name just a few. We suggest using a buttery Bibb lettuce with this recipe.
1 pound extra-firm tofu, diced
4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 can water chestnuts (8 ounces)
1 parsnip, peeled and diced
4 sweet peppers, diced
4 to 6 tablespoons Frontier Thai Seasoning Blend
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cucumber, peeled into thin strips
1 large carrot, shredded
10 large bibb lettuce leaves, separated and patted dry
1/4 cup fresh Thai basil
3 tablespoons natural peanut butter, at room temperature
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 to 1 fresh chile, minced (seeds removed for milder heat)
2 tablespoons cider or rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
1/4 cup fresh or prepared salsa
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
Directions for the filling:
1. In a medium saute pan or small wok, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, peppers, parsnips and water chestnuts. Stir-fry until vegetables soften, about 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Remove veggies from pan or wok and place in a medium-sized glass or metal bowl.
4. Using the same pan, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil and soy sauce on medium high, adding 2 to 3 tablespoons Thai seasoning and then diced tofu.
5. Fry tofu on one side for 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn tofu over, add remaining seasoning and fry for another 4 to 6 minutes.
6. Add tofu to the veggie mixture.
7. Stuff lettuce leaves with tofu/veggie mixture and garnish with sprouts, cucumber, carrot and basil.
Directions for the sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients other than the cilantro in a food processor and process until smooth.
2. Pulse in cilantro.
3. Add water to thin, if desired.
4. Drizzle sauce over lettuce wraps or serve as a dipping sauce.