Vegan Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
A delectable vegan macaroni and cheese recipe that’s every bit as creamy and loaded with flavor, featuring a butternut-squash-based sauce, uniquely spiced with hints of nutmeg, cayenne and sage.
Share with your friends
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cayenne, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Sage
- In a vegetable steamer or pot with a steamer basket, steam butternut squash for about 10 minutes, until soft.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes, until softened and caramelized.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- In a blender, combine squash, onion and garlic mixture, vegetable broth, cashew milk, tamari, garlic powder, ground mustard, nutmeg, cayenne, turmeric and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return pasta to pot. Add butternut squash and sauce, then gently stir until well combined.
- Add sage, gently stir until well combined, then serve.