Garam Masala Lentil Soup with Coriander Yogurt
Low and slow is the best way to achieve lentils with incredible flavor and tender texture. Serve this fragrant, well-spiced lentil soup with a dollop of coriander yogurt — a fresh, flavorful alternative to heavy sour cream.
Share with your friends
- 1 pound brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 quarts broth
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Coriander, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cumin
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a 6-quart slow cooker set to low, combine lentils, broth, onion, garlic, garam masala, 1 teaspoon coriander, turmeric and cumin. Cook for 8 hours.
- Turn off heat and add sugar and vinegar. Stir until well combined. Add spinach and stir until well combined. Let soup sit uncovered for 10 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon coriander and lemon juice. Stir until well blended.
- Top soup with spiced yogurt and fresh cilantro. Serve hot.