Garam Masala Lentil Soup with Coriander Yogurt
Low and slow is the best way to achieve lentils with incredible flavor and tender texture. Serve this fragrant, well-spiced lentil soup with a dollop of coriander yogurt -- a nutritious, flavorful alternative to heavy sour cream.
1 pound brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
2 quarts broth
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 whole cloves garlic
1 tablespoon Simply Organic Garam Masala
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin
1 tablespoon Frontier Cane Sugar
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
8 ounces fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
Fresh cilantro (optional)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Coriander
Juice of half a lemon
1. Combine the lentils, broth, onion, garlic and spices through cumin in a 6 quart slow cooker. Set the cooker to low and let cook for 8 hours.
2. Turn off the heat and stir in the sugar and vinegar.
3. Add the spinach and stir well.
4. Let the soup sit uncovered for 10 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
5. Meanwhile, combine yogurt, coriander and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir.
6. Top soup with spiced yogurt and fresh coriander leaves.