Snickerdoodle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Hands-on Time: 1 hrs 10 mins
Makes: 8 sandwiches (about 1 quart ice cream)
- In a medium mixing bowl, add 1 cup heavy cream and vanilla bean paste; whisk to combine. Cover and refrigerate while completing Steps 2 through 5.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine milk, sugar, a pinch of salt and the remaining 1 cup heavy cream. Stir and heat over medium-high until sugar is fully dissolved and mixture is steaming hot. Remove from heat, cover and let cool slightly.
- In a heatproof mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks.
- Very gradually, pour a thin stream of milk mixture into egg yolks, whisking constantly. Continue pouring and whisking until half the milk mixture is incorporated into the eggs.
- Pour this custard mixture back into saucepan with remaining warmed milk and return pan to heat. Cook gently over low heat, stirring constantly for about 7 to 10 minutes, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove chilled bowl with heavy cream and vanilla paste from refrigerator. Using a fine mesh sieve, strain custard into vanilla cream. Stir together until vanilla paste is dispersed throughout.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, at least 8 hours.
- In an ice cream maker, churn custard according to manufacturer's directions. Store in freezer in an airtight container.
- Line the bottom of a baking dish or other wide, freezer-friendly container with a single layer of cookies, bottom-side up.
- Place a rounded scoop of ice cream on each cookie, flatten ice cream slightly, then cover dish and freeze for at least 30 minutes, until ice cream is firm.
- Gently top each ice cream scoop with another cookie, bottom-side down. Freeze for at least 30 minutes more. And enjoy!
TO MAKE THE ICE CREAM:
TO MAKE THE SANDWICHES: