More than $280,000 was given this year to support these groups domestically, with another nearly $500,000 being given internationally to Simply Organic’s parent brand, Frontier Co-op’s, Well Earth Program, which works with organic spice farmers to improve product quality and communities.
“Consumers buying Simply Organic spices, seasonings, and extracts have allowed us to spread sustainable, organic agriculture practices across the world together,” said Ellen Bouchard, Director of Marketing, Simply Organic.
Simply Organic 1% Grants are awarded to organizations that meet the following criteria:
- Research organic production methods
- Educate the farmers and public on standards within organic agriculture
- Develop projects to efficiently help farmers produce better products.
After reviewing the proposed applications last fall with these guidelines, Simply Organic awarded the nonprofit and Well Earth groups in January 2017. A few organizations awarded grants are listed below:
- Farmshare Austin: This program in Austin, Texas, encourages the next generation of organic growers in Central Texas. Simply Organic gave $10,000 to support this year’s summer community classes which in turn taught and encouraged the next generation of organic growers. This organization distributes organic produce from the educational Texan farm to partnering local food access programs.
- Valley Verde: During Simply Organic’s third year working with this program in San Jose, California, they gave $15,000 in funds to support more than 300 low-income Santa Clara County families and equip 75 gardeners who were then trained in home gardening and seedling cultivation.
- Fedecovera Dental Clinic: With a donation of $50,000, Simply Organic’s supplier of organic cardamom and allspice – Fedecovera –expanded their dental services into a new clinic with new equipment and an additional dentist. The clinic in Coban, Guatemala, services 25,000 people (growers and their families) who are part of 41 independent farmer co-ops organized under the larger Fedecovera co-op. Watch a video tour of the new clinic here: https://www.frontiercoop.com/community/about/giving-back-story/guatemala-dental-clinic
Learn more about previous Simply Organic 1% Fund recipients at https://www.simplyorganic.com/community/about/giving-back.
Simply Organic, an all-organic brand from Frontier Co-op®, offers an extensive and growing selection of certified organic spices, seasonings, and baking flavors while supporting organic agriculture around the globe. By providing the best available organic seasonings and donating one percent of sales to organic agriculture and education, Simply Organic genuinely offers "Pure.Simple.Joy." Find out more about Simply Organic at www.simplyorganic.com.
Founded in 1976 and based in Norway, Iowa, Frontier Co-op offers a full line of natural and organic products under the Frontier Co-op, Simply Organic® and Aura Cacia® brands. Products include culinary herbs, spices and baking flavors; bulk herbs and spices; and natural and organic aromatherapy products. Frontier Co-op's goal is to provide consumers with the highest-quality organic and natural products while supporting and promoting social and environmental responsibility. For more information, visit Frontier Co-op's website at www.frontiercoop.com.