NORWAY, IOWA (February 1, 2020) Simply Organic, a leader in organic herbs, spices, flavors and seasonings, recently committed donations totaling $100,000 to five organizations at the front line fighting food insecurity through its Simply Organic Giving Fund.
For the 2020 granting period, the Simply Organic Giving Fund is again focusing its domestic grant dollars on helping to nourish the millions of food insecure here in the U.S. Grants were provided to organizations that are increasing access to healthy and organic foods to populations in need.
After reviewing the proposed applications last fall with these guidelines, Simply Organic awarded the following nonprofit organizations grants for the 2020 calendar year:
- Emergency Food Network: Emergency Food Network’s Mother Earth Farm, which partners with the Purdy Women’s Program to teach incarcerated women job and life skills, was granted $40,000 through the Simply Organic Giving Fund to assist in the production of more than 100,000 pounds of organic food annually for those in need. Emergency Food Network partners with 76 food pantries, meal sites, and shelters for distribution to families and individuals in need in the state of Washington.
- Coastal Roots Farm: Coastal Roots Farm is a nonprofit Jewish community farm and education center that cultivates healthy communities by integrating sustainable agriculture and food justice. A $15,000 contribution from the Simply Organic Giving Fund will allow its Produce Donation Program to provide access to organics to the food insecure in North San Diego County in a manner that promotes dignity and self-sufficiency.
- Project Worthmore: Project Worthmore serves Denver area refugees through a training farm and a culturally relevant food access program run by and for the refugee and immigrant community. Simply Organic’s $15,000 donation will help their Yu Meh Food Share program expand the volume of produce distributed, hours of availability, and deliveries to clients with mobility issues.
- Matthew 25: Matthew 25 is an Iowa-based nonprofit organization with a variety of programs to strengthen and transform neighborhoods. The Simply Organic Giving Fund provided $15,000 to support its Groundswell Café — a ‘pay-it-forward’ café that gives all people access to healthy organic food, and gives area residents the ability to contribute at whatever level they're able to help their neighbors in need.
- Feed Iowa First: Feed Iowa First uses donated plots of land surrounding local churches and businesses to grow fresh, organic produce for local food pantries. Last year, Feed Iowa First produced and donated over 20,000 pounds of organically grown produce. Simply Organic is donating $15,000 to help support and expand food production and distribution.
Simply Organic Giving Fund applications for the 2021 calendar year will be accepted beginning July 2020 through September 2020. U.S. and Canada-based nonprofit (501(c)(3)) tax-exempt organizations that promote access to healthy, organic food options and strive to develop innovative new ways of addressing food insecurity are encouraged to apply.
Established in 2001, the Simply Organic Giving Fund has supported organic agricultural development around the world. In 2018, the brand turned its domestic giving focus to the important work of supporting organizations dedicated to nourishing the millions of food insecure in the United States. Since 2001, the Simply Organic Giving Fund has given more than $2 million to projects around the globe.
To learn more about the Simply Organic Giving Fund, visit http://www.simplyorganic.com/community/about/giving-back.
Simply Organic, an all-organic brand from Frontier Co-op®, offers an extensive and growing selection of certified organic spices, seasonings, and baking flavors while supporting organic agriculture around the globe. Simply Organic genuinely offers "Pure.Simple.Joy.” Find out more about Simply Organic at www.simplyorganic.com.
Founded in 1976 and based in Norway, Iowa, Frontier Co-op offers a full line of products for natural living under the Frontier Co-op, Simply Organic, and Aura Cacia brands. Products include culinary herbs, spices and baking flavors; bulk herbs and spices; and aromatherapy products — with a wide selection of organics. Frontier Co-op’s goal is to provide consumers with the highest-quality products while supporting and promoting social and environmental responsibility. For more information, visit the co-op's website at www.frontiercoop.com.