FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For information about products or services, please contact:
319-227-7996 ext. 1163
When you're entertaining a crowd a home, make the menu simple and make it organic:
* Use organic ingredients whenever possible.
* To avoid a last-minute rush, prepare recipes ahead of time and store in the refrigerator or freezer, according to directions.
Kickin' Garlic Dip
Preparation time: 5 minutes (make at least one hour before serving to bring out flavor). Can be made two to three days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
3 cups sour cream (24-oz. container)
1 package Simply Organic® Garlic Pasta Sauce Mix
1. Place sour cream in a medium bowl; slowly and carefully stir in the Simply Organic Garlic Pasta Sauce. Mix until well blended.
2. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for one hour or more. Serve with potato chips or pretzels.
Makes 3 cups.
Simply Bloody Marys
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus 1 hour to chill). Can be made up to one week in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
* 1 package Simply Organic Fish Taco Seasoning
* 1 quart, (32 oz.) tomato juice
* Juice of 2 limes
* Liquid hot pepper sauce
* Vodka (optional)
1. In a 2-qt. covered container, add the Simply Organic Fish Taco Seasoning to the tomato juice; cover tightly and shake until well blended.
2. Add the limejuice, cover and shake again.
3. Add drops of hot pepper sauce to taste.
4. Chill the mix, allowing flavors to blend, for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
5. Pour the mix into glasses, over ice; add vodka if desired and stir.
Joe's Sloppy Vegetable Soup
Preparation time: 25 minutes. Can be made up to one week in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
* 1 package Simply Organic Sloppy Joe Seasoning
* 1/2-cup olive oil
* 2 cups mixed, chopped fresh vegetables, such as onions, celery, carrots, peppers, zucchini
* 1 141/2-oz. can stewed tomatoes
* 1 1/2 cups water
1. Sauté the chopped vegetables in the olive oil, over medium heat, until tender, about
2. Stir in the Simply Organic Sloppy Joe Seasoning and the stewed tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes with a spoon.
3. Stir in the water. Simmer about 5 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
Prepare hearty, delicious organic chili according to the directions on the Simply Organic Spicy Chili seasoning package.
Spice-Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops or Steaks
Preparation time: About 30 minutes, plus marinating time.
* 4 pork chops or beefsteaks
* 1 recipe of the appropriate rub (below)
Pork chop rub:
* 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Garlic Powder
* 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
* 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Turmeric
* 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Basil
* 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder
* 2 teaspoons salt
1. Mix together all the spices for your chosen rub.
2. Thoroughly wash your hands and dry them. With your fingers, rub the spice mixture into both sides of the pork chops or beefsteaks.
3. Refrigerate the prepared meat for two hours, or overnight. (Uncooked, coated meat can be kept in tightly sealed container for up to 3 days in refrigerator.)
4. Grill to desired doneness.
Makes four meat servings.
Football Ginger Snaps
Preparation time: About two hours for several batches, including decorating. Cookie dough can be stored in tightly covered container in refrigerator for a week before baking. Dough can be frozen for up to 3 months. If tightly wrapped, baked cookies can also be frozen; thaw 1-2 hours before serving. Freeze baked cookies without frosting and decorate after thawing.
* 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened at room temperature
* 2 cups packed brown sugar
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 3/4 cup molasses
* 4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons Simply Organic Ground Ginger
* 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cinnamon
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 tube white decorative frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Cream together the softened butter with the brown sugar until the mixture is well blended.
3. Add the eggs and blend; add the molasses and blend.
4. Sift flour, Simply Organic Ground Ginger, Simply Organic Cinnamon and baking soda together, and add to batter. Mix with heavy-duty spoon until dough is stiff; knead with hands until dough is smooth.
5. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
6. On well-floured flat surface, roll 1/3 of the chilled dough to approximately a 1⁄4-inch thickness, keeping remaining dough in refrigerator. With a football-shaped cookie cutter or a kitchen knife, cut out 4-inch by 2-inch football shapes (returning the scraps and chilling for the next batch). Repeat process with remaining dough.
7. Place the cookies on lightly greased cookie sheets, leaving 2-3 inches between each cookie. Bake 8-12 minutes, until they are cracked on top and golden. Bake less time for chewy cookies and longer time for crispier cookies.
8. Allow cookies to cool for a several minutes on the cookie sheet, then, with a flat spatula, remove them to cool on a wire rack.
9. Decorate with the frosting to make lace designs on footballs (one long line down the center length of the cookie, with several short lines crossing the long line). If baking cookies ahead to freeze, wait to frost cookies. Remove cookies from freezer 1-2 hours in advance of serving and frost.
Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Seven Super Simple Serving Suggestions
1. Mini Roast Beef Sandwiches
Spread slices of toasted French bread with mayonnaise. Top with sliced tomato, avocado
2. Spice-Rubbed Pork Chops
Rub pork chops with Simply Organic Southwest Taco Seasoning (1/4 teaspoon on each side of meat) and refrigerate for two hours before grilling.
3. Spiced Honey Mustard Ham
Mix 1/4 cup grainy Dijon mustard with 3 teaspoons honey and 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Cinnamon. Glaze pre-cooked ham and heat according to ham's label directions. (If ham is glazed, be careful not to burn outer coating.)
4. Parmesan Bread
Mix one package Simply Organic Alfredo Mix with one stick softened butter. Allow flavors to blend for 45 minutes at room temperature. Spread mixture on slices of French bread, top with grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheese; broil until bubbly and lightly browned.
5. Parmesan Potatoes
Prepare the same flavorful recipe as for the Parmesan Bread above and use to top baked potatoes.
6. Orange Butter
Mix 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Orange Extract with one stick softened butter. Serve with cranberry bread.
7. Cinnamon Coffee
Top individual cups of coffee with whipped cream and sprinkle lightly with Simply Organic Cinnamon.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Simply Organic®, an all-organic brand from Frontier Natural Products Co-op™, offers an extensive and growing selection of certified organic spices, seasonings and baking flavors while supporting organic agriculture around the globe. By providing the best available organic seasonings and donating one percent of sales to organic farming causes, Simply Organic genuinely offers "a way to eat, the way to live." Find out more about Simply Organic at www.simplyorganic.com.
Frontier Natural Products Co-op™
Founded in 1976 and based in Norway, Iowa, Frontier Natural Products Co-op™ offers a full line of natural and organic products under the Frontier, Simply Organic®, Aura Cacia® and Aura Cacia Organics® brands. Products include culinary herbs, spices and baking flavors; bulk herbs and spices; and natural and organic aromatherapy products. Frontier's goal is to provide consumers with the highest-quality organic and natural products while supporting and promoting social and environmental responsibility. For more information, visit Frontier's website at www.frontiercoop.com.