Simply Organic® Ingredients
Our goal is to enrich people’s lives with the freshness, quality and taste that can only come from organic foods. We strive to keep things simple, including the ingredients used in our products. To help you better understand what’s what … we’ve listed ingredient descriptions for items that may not be familiar. We’ve also listed ingredients you won’t find in any Simply Organic® products.
Questions? Send a note to email@example.com or call Customer Service at 800.437.3301.
Ingredients Used by Simply Organic
- ACACIA GUM: (also known as GUM ARABIC): This natural ingredient is made from the hardened sap of an acacia tree and helps to bind ingredients as well as provides a source of dietary fiber.
- CORN SYRUP SOLIDS GROWN & PROCESSED WITHOUT GMOs:
Corn syrup solids should not be confused with high fructose corn syrup. Corn syrup solids contain dextrose, which is 25% less sweet than sucrose (table sugar). Corn syrup solids are a powder manufactured from corn syrup liquid through a process that removes 97% of the water from the liquid.
- EVAPORATED CANE SYRUP: This minimally processed sugar comes from sugar cane syrup and retains a subtle sweet taste from the cane. The product is amber-colored and retains more nutrients than heavily refined sugar.
- GLYCERIN: This colorless, odorless liquid acts as a base in many of our flavors to enhance palatability and functionality. Simply Organic’s glycerin is derived from plant, not animal, sources.
- LACTIC ACID: This natural compound has ingredients that are produced by a fermentation process using sugar instead of milk.
- MALTODEXTRIN: This additive is produced from starch and is usually in the form of a creamy-white powder. Maltodextrin is easily digestible, usually flavorless, and used to evenly disperse flavors.
- MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE: This ingredient is used in baking powder to enhance leavening which results in lighter and fluffier baked products.
- NON-IRRADIATED SPICES: Some spices undergo a process of ionizing radiation to increase shelf life and kill bacteria. While this may sound good, we believe using steam to eliminate dangerous microorganism is a better way to ensure organic herbs, spices and botanicals are safe to eat.
- ORGANIC COCOA (processed with Alkali): Commonly known as Dutch Cocoa, this ingredient is alkalized to help neutralize (lower) the natural acidity. This process yields a darker, richer color and helps soften/smooth/round the flavor profile. Because of the lower acidity level, alkalized cocoa works better in baking recipes that call for baking powder as a leavening agent while non-alkalized cocoa works best with baking soda as a leavening agent. The lower acidity level of alkalized cocoa also helps the cocoa dissolve easier in some applications.
- SILICON DIOXIDE: This mineral is used to keep powdered foods flowing smoothly without clumping.
- SUCANAT (Dehydrated Cane Juice): A minimally processed sugar, these amber-colored granules retain a slight golden color and a subtle taste from the original cane syrup.
- TAMARI POWDER: This ingredient is composed of dried tamari sauce mixed with maltodextrin and salt. Tamari sauce is similar to soy sauce in flavor and functionality. Simply Organic tamari powder is gluten-free.
- WHEY POWDER: Whey is a naturally occurring protein in milk. When separated from milk, it can be dried and used to bind water and enhance flavors.
- XANTHAN GUM: NA natural material created by a fermentation process derived from EU maize. Xanthan gum is used as a thickening agent in dip and dressing mixes.
Ingredients NOT Used by Simply Organic
- ASPARTAME: This artificial sweetener is 180 times sweeter than real sugar and can be found in many processed foods.
- BLEACHED FLOUR: This type of flour loses many of its original whole-grain nutrients due to a bleaching process that creates white colored flour.
- DISODIUM GUANYLATE (GMP): This synthetic flavor enhancer can be derived from starch (usually tapioca), fish, or seaweed, then chemically engineered and highly refined to intensify the impact of flavors.
- DISODIUM INOSINATE (IMP): This synthetic flavor enhancer is used to intensify the impact of flavors
- GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM (GMO’s): is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. GMO technology in the food industry refers to the use of patent-protected food crops that are resistant to commercial herbicides or able to produce pesticidal proteins from within the plant.
- HIGH FRUTOSE CORN SYRUP: This sugar is made from corn syrup through an enzymatic action that converts dextrose sugar into fructose sugar. HFCS is sweeter than corn syrup, which is why you find it in processed food.
- HYDROLYZED PROTEINS: Proteins (often corn or soy) that have been broken down by acids or enzymes into amino acids and used as a flavor enhancer to intensify flavor impact.
- HYDROGENATED OILS: Hydrogenation is a chemical process that results in unsaturated, liquid oil becoming saturated, solid fats.
- MODIFIED FOOD/CORN STARCH: A carbohydrate, usually obtained from corn, wheat, potato or rice that undergoes a chemical or physical modification to change its gelling properties. The starch is used as a thickener and bulking agent.
- MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE (MSG): A synthetic flavor enhancer derived from corn protein used to intensify the impact of flavors.
- PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED OIL: Partial hydrogenation is a chemical process that results in unsaturated, liquid oil becoming saturated, semi-solid fats. This process can result in the formation of trans fatty acids.
- SUCRALOSE: This artificial sweetener is not broken down in the body; therefore it is noncaloric and it is 600 times sweeter than real sugar.