NORWAY, IOWA (May 1, 2019) Simply Organic, a leader in organic herbs, spices and flavors and seasonings, recently committed donations of $150,000 to six organizations at the front-line fighting food insecurity through its Simply Organic Giving Fund.
For the 2019 granting period, the Simply Organic Giving Fund focused its domestic grant dollars on helping to nourish the millions of food insecure here in the U.S. Grants were provided to organizations that are increasing access to healthy and organic foods to populations in need.
After reviewing the proposed applications last fall with these guidelines, Simply Organic awarded the following nonprofit organizations grants for the 2019 calendar year:
- Emergency Food Network: Emergency Food Network’s Mother Earth Farm, which partners with the Purdy Women’s Program to teach incarcerated women job and life skills, was granted $50,000 to assist in the production of more than 130,000 pounds of organic food annually to those in need. Emergency Food Network partners with 71 food pantries, meal sites, and shelters for distribution to families and individuals in need in the state of Washington.
- Coastal Roots Farm: Coastal Roots Farm is a nonprofit Jewish community farm and education center that cultivates healthy communities by integrating sustainable agriculture and food justice. A $25,000 contribution from the Simply Organic Giving Fund, will allow its Produce Donation Program to provide access to organics to the food insecure in their communities in a manner that promotes dignity and self-sufficiency by connecting people through farming and food.
- Farmshare Austin: This program in Austin, Texas strives to grow a healthy food community by educating new farmers, increasing access to organic food options, and preserving farmland. The Simply Organic Giving Fund provided $10,000 in support for their Mobile Markets Program, which increases access to high-quality foods to those in their communities facing economic and geographic barriers to healthy, organic food, and at the same time, benefits the local farmers from whom they source.
- Ceres Community Project: The Ceres Community Project is a California nonprofit providing locally produced meals to low-income people and nutrition education to communities. With the help of a $15,000 grant from the Simply Organic Giving Fund, their Youth Development Garden Program helps supports people struggling with health challenges by providing them with free or low cost, home-delivered organic meals.
- Matthew25: Matthew25 is an Iowa-based nonprofit organization with a variety of programs to strengthen and transform neighborhoods. The Simply Organic Giving Fund provided $15,000 to support its Cultivate Hope program that works to build sustainable, healthy communities by teaching kids and families how to grow, eat and preserve fresh, high quality food right in their own neighborhoods. At the same time, the program provides low-income residents access to healthy produce at an affordable level. Simply Organic also provided $15,000 to fund the organization’s Groundswell Café; an innovative way to address food insecurity through a ‘pay-it-forward’ café that gives all people access to healthy organic food.
- Feed Iowa First: Feed Iowa First uses donated plots of land surrounding local churches and businesses to grow fresh, organic produce for local food pantries. Last year, Feed Iowa First produced and donated over 20,000 pounds of organically grown produce. A single acre of donated land can produce more than a ton of vegetables for the hungry. This year, the organization is working to expand to 15 partner sites for vegetable production.
Simply Organic Giving Fund applications for the 2020 calendar year will be accepted beginning July 2019 through September 2019. U.S. and Canada-based nonprofit (501(c)(3))tax-exempt organizations that promote access to healthy, organic food options and strive to develop innovative new ways of addressing food insecurity are encouraged to apply.
Established in 2001, the Simply Organic Giving Fund supports organic agricultural development aimed at nourishing the millions of food insecure in the United States.Since that time, the Simply Organic Giving Fund has given more than $1.5 million to organic projects across the globe.
To learn more about the Simply Organic Giving Fund, visit http://www.simplyorganic.com/community/about/giving-back.
Simply Organic, an all-organic brand from Frontier Co-op®, offers an extensive and growing selection of certified organic spices, seasonings, and baking flavors while supporting organic agriculture around the globe. Simply Organic genuinely offers "Pure.Simple.Joy.” Find out more about Simply Organic at www.simplyorganic.com.
Founded in 1976 and based in Norway, Iowa, Frontier Co-op offers a full line of products for natural living under the Frontier Co-op, Simply Organic, and Aura Cacia brands. Products include culinary herbs, spices and baking flavors; bulk herbs and spices; and aromatherapy products — with a wide selection of organics. Frontier Co-op’s goal is to provide consumers with the highest-quality products while supporting and promoting social and environmental responsibility. For more information, visit the co-op's website at www.frontiercoop.com.