Wild Rice and Portobello Mushroom Stuffing
A generous addition of sage and thyme enhances the umami flavors of mushrooms and sausage in this wild rice stuffing recipe.
Share with your friends
- 2 1/2 cups (16 ounces) wild rice, rinsed in cold water
- 8 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound pork sausage (optional)
- 2 Portobello or 10 cremini mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Sage
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Parsley
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Thyme
- 1 pinch sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- 1 pinch Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized pot, combine rice and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let cook for about 45 minutes, until rice is tender and splitting open.
- In an enameled cast iron casserole dish or another oven-safe pot over medium heat, melt butter. If using sausage, add to butter and cook, breaking up with a spatula, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, onion, celery, sage, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent.
- Add rice and broth mixture. Remove from stove and place in oven to bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 more minutes, until dressing has a bit of a crust on top.
- Serve hot or let cool and refrigerate for up to 4 days.