Spicy Tuna Pasta with Oregano and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Hosting a Feast of The Seven Fishes or just need an elegant pasta dish to serve during the busy holiday season? We used Simply Organic® Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano and Italian Seasoning to create this herbaceous and spicy pasta dish. It’s studded with oil-packed tuna, sun dried tomatoes, capers and lemon, so it’s full in flavor — but takes no time at all. Plus, using a high-end, oil-packed tuna is a great way to serve fish without having to worry about having access to fresh catch.
Share with your friends
- 1 pound pasta of choice (we used a rustic linguine)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon Simply Organic® Italian Seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, optional
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Oregano
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 jars (5 ounces each) oil-packed tuna, drained and broken up with a fork
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground Simply Organic® Black Peppercorns, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Freshly ground Pecorino Romano, for serving
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES:
- Green olives, baby arugula, peppadew peppers
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add panko and Italian seasoning. Cook until the panko turns golden brown. Place panko in a small bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out skillet and add remaining olive oil. Heat to a simmer over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovies (if using), red pepper flakes and oregano and cook until anchovies start to melt and the garlic is fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Reduce heat and add capers, sun-dried tomatoes and white wine. Cook until reduced by half, then add cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Serve the pasta topped with toasted panko, chopped parsley and freshly grated Pecorino Romano.
- Off the heat, add tuna, lemon juice and zest and a bit of the reserved pasta water (just enough to form a sauce). Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed with salt and pepper.