Simple Sugar Cookie Bars
Total Time: 01h 05m
Hands-on Time: 00h 15m
Makes: 1 serving
These vanilla-almond sugar cookie bars are perfect for no-fuss holiday entertaining.
Makes 32 bars.
Share with your friends
- For the Bars:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea or Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste
- For the Frosting:
- 5 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk or non-dairy alternative
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Almond Extract
- Sliced almonds
- Lightly grease a 9-x-13-inch baking pan. Line with parchment paper, with paper overhanging edges.
- In a large bowl, stir flour with baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Slowly add flour mixture until fully incorporated.
- Press mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Chill for 30 minutes and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set in the center and edges are lightly golden. Cool completely before frosting.
- Using an electric mixer, whip butter until light and fluffy. Beat in powdered sugar, milk and almond extract on low speed until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cookie bars. Sprinkle with almonds. Cut into 32 pieces.
- For a nut-free recipe, substitute vanilla extract for the almond extract in the frosting, and omit the sliced almonds.