Roasted Eggplant Lasagna with Thyme
A classic comfort dish takes a noodle-less twist using roasted eggplant and tomatoes as the base layers. Complete with a quick homemade sauce, this vegetarian lasagna recipe still has all the creamy cheesiness you love.
Share with your friends
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 pound ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Parsley
- 1 Simply Organic® Bay Leaf
- 1 pinch Simply Organic® Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup chiffonade basil leaves, divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and grease foil.
- Arrange eggplant slices on baking sheets and brush with 1/4 cup olive oil. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir until well combined, then set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, parsley, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and tomato paste. Stir until well combined and let cook for 1 minute.
- Using a sharp knife, break up tomatoes while still in can. Add to pot and break up further. Add sugar and stir to combine. Bring heat to a low simmer and cook down for 20 minutes, until thickened. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Adjust oven temperature to 375 degrees. Onto the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish, spoon a ladleful of sauce. Place a layer of eggplant slices on top of the sauce, then a layer of tomato slices on top of the eggplant.
- Dollop ricotta mixture over tomatoes and use a spatula to spread in an even layer. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella over ricotta mixture, then 1 tablespoon basil.
- Continue layering for 3 layers in the following order: eggplant, tomatoes, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, basil, reserving some basil for garnish. Once you lay the last layer of eggplant slices, top only with sauce, remaining mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
- Cover baking dish with loosely tented aluminum foil, place on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven, let rest for 15 minutes, then garnish with remaining basil.