Red Velvet Sugar Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Total Time: 01h 50m
Hands-on Time: 00h 35m
Makes: 12 servings
Classic red velvet cake turns sugar cookie in this one-bowl recipe with cream cheese frosting.
Share with your friends
- 1 cup organic white cane sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons Simply Organic® Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste, divided
- 2 teaspoons beet juice or natural red food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea or Himalayan pink salt
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer bowl), combine sugar and 8 tablespoons butter. Mix for about 1 minutes, until creamy. Add egg, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and beet juice or food coloring. Mix until well combined.
- Add flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Form dough into a ball, fold parchment paper around dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let sit for about 5 minutes at room temperature, until it is soft and easy to roll out.
- Place another large piece of parchment paper over top of ball, then roll dough out. *The parchment paper underneath and on top of the dough will make for easy cleanup.
- Cut dough into desired shapes, place on a cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
- While the cookies cool, prepare the cream cheese frosting. In a small mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Mix until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and whisk until well combined.
- Spread frosting on cookies.
- To split preparation time, make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Expect the color of the cookies to be different depending on the coloring agent. Beet juice will produce darker, muted red cookies.