Mini Vegetarian Pot Pie with Sage Cornbread
In this vegetarian pot pie recipe, a savory and warmly spiced lentil filling complements a rustic sage cornbread topping.
Share with your friends
- For the Lentil Filling:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red potatoes
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup French lentils
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Ground Sage
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth, plus more if needed
- For the Cornbread:
- 3/4 cup white all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Sage
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.
- Add red potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas and onion. Sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Add lentils, sage, thyme, ginger, rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Add 3 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and let cook, covered, for 25 minutes, until lentils are soft. If mixture looks dry and/or all the liquid has been absorbed by the lentils and vegetables, add a little more vegetable broth.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sage, baking powder and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg, butter and maple syrup. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Evenly divide lentil mixture among ramekins. Top with about 2 tablespoons cornbread dough, then garnish with cheese, if desired.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, then serve warm.
- For a filling with more texture, do not peel the potatoes.
- If preferred, substitute whole wheat flour for the white all-purpose flour..
- To make the cornbread dairy free, substitute almond or coconut milk for the whole milk.
- To make the dish vegan, substitute an egg replacement like flax egg for the egg.
- For one whole pot pie instead of multiple mini pot pies, assemble and bake in a 9x13-inch pan instead of in ramekins.