Lentil Sloppy Joes with Cilantro Cabbage Slaw
Sweet, spicy and satisfying, these hearty lentil sloppy joes are a vegetarian-friendly take on the traditional saucy sandwich.
Share with your friends
- For the Slaw:
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small head of purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thin on an angle
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- For the Sloppy Joes:
- 1 pound organic brown lentils
- 5 + 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 1/2 cups organic ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons Frontier Maple Syrup Granules
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4 whole wheat slider buns
- Combine light brown sugar, olive oil, lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, purple cabbage, fresh cilantro, green onions, carrots and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Refrigerate for one hour or until ready to serve.
- Rinse and drain lentils. Place them into a large saucepan.
- Pour in five cups of cool water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain and set off to the side.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ketchup, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, 1/4 cup water, maple syrup granules, mustard and vinegar. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Preheat a Dutch oven over medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, sauté the peppers and onions together until soft and translucent. Next, add in the minced cloves of garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to low and pour in the sauce. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the drained lentils, stir to combine and heat for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Spoon the lentil sloppy joe filling on a whole wheat slider bun and top with the slaw and serve.
- Sloppy joe filling can be kept warm in a crock pot set on low or warm setting.
- If desired, substitute 1 packet Simply Organic Sloppy Joe seasoning for chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper when making the sauce.