Vegan Mac and Cheese with Nutritional Yeast
Nutritional yeast makes a great cheese substitute when it comes to many things. Try it in mac ‘n cheese for a creamy, cheese like sauce that’s even easier to make than the classic.
Share with your friends
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter replacement (divided)
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Parsley Flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Basil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Simply Organic® Garlic Powder, divided
- 2 cups dried elbow pasta
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Smoked Paprika
- 1 cup nut milk, unsweetened, unflavored
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Simply Organic® Nutritional Yeast
- Start by making the garlic-herb breadcrumbs. Place 1 tablespoon vegan butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Once melted, add breadcrumbs, parsley, basil and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Toss with a spatula to evenly coat mixture with butter. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta and cook according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, place remaining 1 tablespoon vegan butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add flour, remaining 1 teaspoon garlic powder and smoked paprika; stir until combined and absorbed by the butter-onion mixture.
- Slowly add nut milk, whisking as you pour.
- Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, whisking frequently until thickened.
- Drain pasta and rinse under warm water. Return pasta to pan and remove from heat.
- Add nutritional yeast, salt and pepper to sauce mixture; whisk until smooth and combined.
- Pour nutritional yeast sauce over pasta and stir gently to coat.
- Serve immediately, topped with the garlic-herb breadcrumbs.
- For a heartier dish, try adding cooked vegan sausage, peas or broccoli. You can also adjust spices in the nutritional yeast sauce. For a spicy sauce, add cayenne pepper and chipotle. For an herb sauce, try basil, oregano and parsley.