Tomatillo Green Chili
This light, yet satisfying tomatillo green chili recipe is warmly spiced with cumin, coriander and a trio of roasted chili peppers, then paired with tender chicken and cannellini beans.
Share with your friends
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, cut in half and husks removed
- 2 jalapeños, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 green bell pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 poblano pepper, halved and seeded (optional)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1 pinch sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- 2 bunches cilantro leaves, rinsed and roughly chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Coriander
- 1 pinch Simply Organic® Cloves
- Simply Organic® Black Pepper, to taste
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Avocado, for garnish
- Red cabbage, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- On baking sheet, place tomatillos, jalapeños, bell peppers and poblano peppers cut-side down in a single, evenly spread layer.
- Evenly spread garlic cloves among tomatillos and peppers, then drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle 1 pinch salt over top.
- Roast for about 20 minutes, until tomatillo and pepper skins blister. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a blender, combine tomatillos (skins included), garlic, jalapeño, bell peppers, poblano peppers and cilantro. Pulse until well combined and finely chopped.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until onion is tender.
- Add chicken, tomatillo and pepper mixture, cannellini beans, cumin, oregano, coriander, clove, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and chicken stock. Stir until well combined.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with avocado, cabbage, cilantro and lime.