Slow Cooker Spicy Chicken Soup with Avocado and Lime
Kick up the heat with the spices in this tomato-free slow cooker spicy chicken soup, then cool it down with fresh avocado and lime.
Share with your friends
- For the Soup:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced green chilies
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 1/2 small bundle fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Lime wedges
- Shredded cheddar cheese or dairy-free equivalent
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced green onion
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Sprinkle chicken thighs with a pinch of salt and pepper, and add to hot skillet. Brown thighs for about 5 minutes per side, then transfer to slow cooker. Keep skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add onion to skillet. If there is not enough oil/fat leftover from cooking the chicken, add a drizzle of oil. Sauté onions for 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Into slow cooker, add onion and garlic mixture, broth, green chilies, chili powder, oregano, salt, smoked paprika and pepper. Stir and cover with lid. Cook on low for 8 hours, until chicken is fully cooked and easily shreds (cooking times may vary slightly depending on the slow cooker).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks, then return to slow cooker. Stir in avocado, cilantro and lime juice.
- Serve hot with lime wedges, cheese, tortilla chips and green onion.