Savory Spiced Quinoa and Chickpea Breakfast Bowl
Fuel your day with this savory quinoa breakfast bowl recipe — protein-rich and packed with fresh veggies and flavorful organic spices like cumin and ancho chili powder.
Share with your friends
- 3/4 cup dry, uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth), divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Ancho Chili Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan pink salt, plus more to taste
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced, no-salt-added fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon minced lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Crumbled feta, for serving (optional)
- Fresh parsley, for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, toast quinoa, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, until fragrant and toasty.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Remove quinoa from heat and fluff with a fork.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sauté onion for 4 to 5 minutes, until softened and starting to brown. Add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cinnamon and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup broth, chickpeas and tomatoes. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in zest and season with additional salt, if needed.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add eggs and reduce heat to low. Lightly season with salt and cook until whites are set. Gently flip eggs and cook until desired doneness is achieved.
- Divide quinoa, chickpea mixture and arugula among bowls. Top each bowl with a cooked egg and a sprinkling of feta and parsley, if desired.