Pistachio and Black Sesame Brittle
Earthy, rich black sesame seeds amplify the toasty, nutty flavor in this re-visioned nut brittle recipe. With its gentle snap and just the right touch of salt, this buttery sweet treat just might become your new holiday classic.
Share with your friends
- 1 1/4 (6 ounces) cups Simply Organic® Black Sesame Seed 3.28 oz. Simply Organic Black Sesame Seed
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/3 (6 ounces) cups pistachios, roasted, unsalted
- 2 cups cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup organic corn syrup or brown rice syrup
- 1/2 (1 stick) cups unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Flaky finishing salt, such as kosher flake or black lava
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or a silicone baking mat, and spray or brush lightly with oil.
- Chop pistachios into approximately ¼-inch pieces and set aside. On a separate, dry sheet pan, spread sesame seeds evenly and toast in a 350-degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they smell pleasantly nutty. Set both aside.
- In a deep saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, water, corn syrup, butter and sea salt. Bring mixture to 260 degrees*, stirring frequently (this may take about 10 minutes). Mix in pistachios and sesame seeds. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to 300 degrees without stirring (may take 10 to 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and carefully stir in vanilla, then baking soda. Immediately pour brittle onto prepared baking sheet. Using the back of a large, lightly oiled spatula, spread brittle into an even layer — the thinner the better. (If having trouble, spread with lightly oiled or gloved hands, once cool enough to handle.) Sprinkle with finishing salt.
- Let cool completely, about 20 minutes. Break brittle into large pieces and store in an airtight container for up to 1 month.