Grilled Romaine and Avocado Southwestern Salad
Grilled romaine is a fun summertime way to enjoy salad. This one takes a Southwestern spin with grilled avocados and a fresh, smoky corn salsa featuring organic chipotle pepper, chili powder and cumin. Enjoy on its own or alongside your favorite grilled protein.
Share with your friends
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise leaving stem intact
- 1 large firm avocado, pitted and quartered
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or other high-heat oil)
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Chipotle Powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grilled corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 lime, quartered
- Lightly brush both sides of romaine and avocado slices with grapeseed oil.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder, chili powder, chipotle, salt, cumin and black pepper.
- Season romaine with half the spice mixture.
- Place romaine and avocados flesh-side down on the grill for 2 to 3 minutes until char marks appear, keeping grill lid open. Flip and grill on the other side. Watch carefully for burning. Remove once sufficiently charred on all sides.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, corn, red onion, cilantro and lime juice.
- Add remaining spice mixture to tomato-corn mixture and toss to combine.
- On a platter, place grilled romaine and avocados, top with the fresh tomato-corn salsa and garnish with additional lime wedges.
- Preheat outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan to high.