Homemade Gluten-Free Cauliflower and Chickpea Flour Gnocchi
Made with garbanzo bean flour and arrowroot starch, this gluten-free cauliflower gnocchi recipe will easily rival those made with gluten!
Share with your friends
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour, plus more for dusting work surface and baking sheet
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Spice Right Pepper and More
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large pot with a steamer basket inside, bring 2 inches water to a simmer. Add cauliflower to basket, cover and steam for about 10 minutes, until fork tender.
- Transfer cauliflower to a kitchen towel and let cool slightly, then gather corners of towel and squeeze liquid from cauliflower. Discard liquid.
- In a food processor, combine cauliflower and egg yolk. Purée for about 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl every 10 to 15 seconds, until mixture is very smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Sift flour and arrowroot starch over cauliflower, then sprinkle salt and Spice Right Pepper and More over top. Use a fork to gently combine just until no pockets of dry flour remain. Lightly press mixture together.
- In a medium-sized pot, bring salted water to a low boil. Gently add half the gnocchi and cook for about 2 minutes, until gnocchi float to the top. Use a slotted spoon to transfer gnocchi to a plate, then repeat with remaining gnocchi.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and butter. Add boiled gnocchi and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Lightly dust a work surface with garbanzo bean flour and gently knead dough 4 to 5 times, until dough is slightly sticky and smooth. Lightly dust a baking sheet with garbanzo bean flour.
- Cut dough into 4 pieces, then roll each piece into a 5-to-6-inch long, 3/4-inch thick rope. Cut ropes into 3/4-inch-long pieces. Form ridges by using your thumb to press each piece of dough crossways against the back side of a fork, then roll down and off the fork. Place gnocchi pieces on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.
- Serve with your favorite sauce and/or Parmesan.
- If you prefer boiled to sautéed gnocchi and/or wish to save time, simply skip step 8.