The holy grail of perfectly textured gluten-free brownies has finally been found. Organic cocoa and bittersweet chocolate meet organic oat flour and almond meal flour to create a rich, super-chocolaty brownie with a decadently dense, chewy-soft texture.
2/3 cup gluten-free organic oat flour*
2 tablespoons organic almond meal
2 tablespoons Frontier Organic Cocoa Powder
1/4 teaspoon Frontier Sea Salt
1/4 teaspoon Frontier Organic Baking Soda
6 tablespoons organic unsalted butter
6 ounces high-quality organic dark or bittersweet chocolate, about 1 cup standard sized chocolate chips
3/4 cup Frontier Organic Cane Sugar
2 large organic eggs
2 teaspoons Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
Optional mix-ins: chocolate chips, chopped pecans or walnuts, shredded coconut
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and thoroughly grease an 8x8 glass pan with butter.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together the oat flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, sea salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler or heat-safe bowl over simmering water, (water should not touch the bowl), stirring frequently until smooth.
4. Remove bowl from simmering water and stir in sugar with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds. Add in both eggs and stir until fully combined (about 20 seconds). Stir in the vanilla extract.
5. Pour dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until smooth and fully combined (about 20 seconds). If adding any mix-ins fold in now. Pour into your pan and spread with a spatula to level.
6. Bake on the middle rack for 33-38 minutes, test for doneness with a toothpick. Edges will rise slightly higher than the center.
7. Place on a cooling rack and allow to fully cool before cutting. Brownies will be firm and can be cleanly cut once fully cooled.
*If you cannot tolerate gluten-free oat flour feel free to substitute with a high quality all-purpose gluten-free flour for the oat flour only (outcome will vary slightly from original). Oat flour can be ground in a blender or food processor from organic and gluten-free oat groats, steel cut oats, or rolled oats [not quick oats] until flour-like in texture. Sift out any larger pieces if necessary. Best ground in 1 cup batches. Almond meal can be ground from organic raw almonds [skin on] in a blender or food processor until flour-like in texture. Sift out any hard pieces if necessary. Best ground in 1 cup batches.