Garlic Bourbon BBQ-Marinated Grilled Chicken
Total Time: 01h 25m
Hands-on Time: 00h 25m
Makes: 4 servings
Garlic, paprika and cayenne pepper give grilled chicken big charisma.
Share with your friends
- 1/4 cup bourbon (optional, see alternative in TIPS)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Mustard Seed
- 1 sprinkle Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cayenne Pepper
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup sorghum or molasses
- 4 organic chicken breasts, boneless, skin on or off
- In a 2-cup (or larger) measuring cup, whisk together all liquids and spices. Use a fork to break up any spice "lumps."
- Score chicken breasts 3 to 5 times on skin (smoother front) side by slicing about 1/2 inch into (but not all the way through) the meat. Do this regardless of whether you choose to leave the skin attached.
- Place breasts in a shallow casserole or 1-gallon plastic bag, and add marinade. Mix until chicken is thoroughly coated. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Aim for medium-high heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
- Remove chicken from marinade and scrape off as much excess as possible. Place on hot grill, skin side down, and grill 3 to 4 minutes. Turn breasts over and cook an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- Using a meat thermometer, check for doneness at thickest part of breast. Cook further if needed to reach internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes, then serve immediately.
- *To leave out the bourbon, replace by doubling the water to 1/2 cup and adding one teaspoon Simply Organic® Vanilla Flavoring.
- Before you place the chicken on the grill, be sure to remove excess marinade. This will help prevent flare-ups when grilling.