Five Spice Vietnamese Braised Beef Short Ribs
Vietnamese-style braised beef short ribs with onions, garlic, carrots and yellow potatoes, spiced and garnished with organic five spice powder, cilantro, mint and Thai basil. One-pot recipe, made in your Dutch oven.
Share with your friends
- 4 large bone-in beef short ribs (about 4 to 5 pounds)
- Sea salt or Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- Simply Organic® Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive or other neutral oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Five Spice Powder
- 2 to 3 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 3 to 4 small yellow potatoes, peeled and halved
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- Fresh Thai basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season all sides of the ribs generously with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add ribs and cook until brown on all sides, then move to a plate.
- Decrease heat to medium and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute, then add ribs back to pot. Add carrots, rice vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and five spice powder.
- Add just enough beef stock to barely cover the vegetables. Bring to a simmer, cover and place in the oven.
- Cook for 1 hour, then add potatoes and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until beef is fork-tender. Remove from oven, move ribs and vegetables to a serving platter and cover with foil to retain heat.
- Skim off fat. Strain remaining liquid into a saucepan over medium-high heat and cook until slightly reduced. Pour liquid over ribs, then garnish with cilantro, mint and Thai basil.