Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
A rich, dark chocolate cupcake one-bowl recipe made with cocoa powder and coffee, then smothered in cinnamon cream cheese frosting and topped with pomegranate seeds.
Share with your friends
- For the Cupcakes:
- 16 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract or Vanilla Bean Paste
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
- For the Frosting:
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic® Nutmeg
- Pomegranate seeds, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and chocolate chips. Once melted, add cocoa powder and brewed coffee. Stir until well combined. Add sugar and stir until well combined and smooth (rather than grainy). Remove from heat.
- Add milk and vanilla, whisking continuously until well combined.
- Allow to cool for about 4 minutes, then add eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt, folding into the wet ingredients until the batter is thick and easily pulls away from the sides of the pot.
- Line a muffin pan with baking cups. Scoop batter into each baking cup. Bake for about 16 minutes, testing with a toothpick until it comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine softened butter and cream cheese. Mix until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and whisk until well combined. Add vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg, and whisk until well combined.
- Spread frosting on cupcakes and top with pomegranate seeds.
- For a more cinnamon-y flavor in the frosting, double the amount of cinnamon.
- To easily portion batter into baking cups, use an ice cream scoop.
- To save cupcakes for later, freeze them unfrosted. Thaw at room temperature on a wire rack, then frost.