Clementine Upside Down Cupcakes
Total Time: 00h 45m
Hands-on Time: 00h 20m
Makes: 16 servings
A fun upside down cupcakes recipe made with bright clementines balanced by herby rosemary.
Share with your friends
- FOR THE BATTER:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons clementine juice
- 1 tablespoon clementine zest
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- FOR THE ICING:
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon clementine juice
- 1 teaspoon clementine zest
- FOR ASSEMBLY:
- 8 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 4 teaspoons Simply Organic® Rosemary
- 16 clementine slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar. Use an electric mixer to beat for 2 to 3 minutes, until well whipped.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add eggs, one at a time.
- Add sour cream, clementine juice, clementine zest and vanilla extract. Beat for about 1 minute, until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, clementine juice and clementine zest. Whisk until well combined.
- Into each cup of a greased cupcake or muffin pan with 16 cups, sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar and 1/4 teaspoon rosemary.
- Top each with a clementine slice, then a dollop of cupcake batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until cupcake batter is set. Remove cupcakes from pan and flip upside down. The tops of the cupcakes should be slightly caramelized from the coconut sugar.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then drizzle with icing.
- For an orange instead of clementine flavor, substitute orange juice for the clementine juice and orange slices for the clementine slices.