Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup
The smoky heat of organic chipotle pepper takes center stage in this chipotle chicken tortilla soup recipe. Cooking the chicken ahead in the slow cooker makes for a quicker weeknight meal. Freshly baked corn tortillas, cheese, lime and avocado provide the perfect finishing touch to this exceptionally satisfying and tasty soup.
Share with your friends
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Chipotle Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea or Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 3 limes
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A few good pinches of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Monterrey jack or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Spray a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add chicken, onions, garlic, fire roasted tomatoes, red pepper, chipotle chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Juice 2 limes into the slow cooker and toss in the limes themselves.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until chicken is tender and shreds easily. Remove chicken to a plate and shred using two forks. Remove spent limes. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in black beans and cilantro. Cover and cook another 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly greased baking sheet, toss tortilla strips well with olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls; top with cheese, tortilla strips, a fresh lime wedge, diced avocado and chopped cilantro.