Cheesy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
A wonderfully creamy, cheesy Brussels sprouts recipe complemented with crispy bacon and all-organic seasonings — so good even the Brussels sprouts haters will have trouble resisting! This dish can go from stovetop to oven to table easily in a single skillet. Use your favorite for a beautiful presentation at your holiday table.
Share with your friends
- 10 ounces uncooked bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (use rice flour if avoiding wheat or gluten)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Onion Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea or Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (any gluten-free breadcrumbs are fine if needed)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, then remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add Brussels sprouts to skillet and sauté, stirring often, for about 15 minutes until mostly fork tender. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. OPTIONAL: Deglaze with 1 to 2 tablespoons water or broth every 5 minutes to prevent burning and help steam sprouts, which will cook them faster.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cooking for 1 minute. Slowly stream in milk, whisking constantly, until thickened. Stir in 1½ cups cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Continue stirring until cheese is melted.
- When Brussels sprouts are finished cooking, remove from heat and pour cheese sauce over sprouts. Add ⅔ of the crispy bacon and stir well to combine.
- In a bowl, stir together melted butter and breadcrumbs, then mix in remaining 1½ cups cheddar cheese.
- Top casserole with cheese-breadcrumb mixture and remaining crispy bacon. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and cheese is melted.