Cardamom Orange Old Fashioned
Total Time: 00h 25m
Hands-on Time: 00h 20m
Makes: 2 servings
Organic cardamom and orange peel bring unique flavor to this simple old fashioned recipe.
Share with your friends
- For the Simple Syrup:
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Cardamom
- For the Old Fashioned:
- 4 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey, divided
- 3-4 dashes Angostura Bitters, divided
- 4 teaspoons simple syrup, divided (see directions)
- 2 orange peels
- 2 Simply Organic® Cinnamon Sticks
- Ice cubes
- In a small pot, bring water, sugar and cardamom to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In each glass (this recipe makes 2 drinks), combine 2 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey, 2 to 3 dashes bitters and 2 teaspoons syrup.
- Add an orange peel to each glass. Using a muddler, crush the orange peel into the drink to release the orange flavor.
- Add a cinnamon stick and ice cubes to each glass, then let the drinks rest for a few minutes.
- The simple syrup recipe makes more syrup than needed to make this drink but enough to make preparing the syrup worth the time it takes. Store extra syrup in the refrigerator for later.
- For more orange flavor, substitute an orange slice (with flesh) for the orange peel. Allow drink to rest for a few minutes, then stir to release flavor.