Breakfast Tacos with Refried Black Beans
Total Time: 00h 35m
Hands-on Time: 00h 15m
Makes: 4 servings
Breakfast tacos are a cinch with this Texan-developed recipe that’s easy to vegetarianize.
Share with your friends
- FOR THE BACON AND EGGS:
- 8 slices bacon (optional)
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- FOR THE REFRIED BLACK BEANS:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Chipotle Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® All-Season Salt
- 1 can (about 2 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- FOR ASSEMBLY:
- 8 tortillas
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, sautéed
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco or shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- If using bacon, preheat oven to 380 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. On baking sheet, evenly spread bacon. Bake for about 15 minutes, then drain grease and pat bacon with a paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well blended.
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add egg mixture and scramble for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add beans, chipotle powder, cumin, paprika and salt. Cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook, stirring, for about 2 more minutes.
- Warm tortillas individually, then divide bacon (if using), eggs, beans, spinach, cheese and salsa evenly among them. Alternatively, arrange all ingredients taco-bar style and let people make their own tacos!