Apple Cranberry Stuffing with Cinnamon
The best flavors of autumn come together in this apple cranberry stuffing recipe with cinnamon and sage complementing a trio of tart, sweet and savory flavors.
Share with your friends
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, plus more for greasing pan
- 2 (4 ounces each) turkey sausage links, broken up and casings removed
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic® Sage
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper, divided
- 12 cups day-old focaccia bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish with butter.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes, until cooked through.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons butter, apple, onion, celery, garlic, sage, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 7 to 9 minutes, until vegetables are soft. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss vegetable mixture with bread, pecans, cranberries and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add eggs and stir until well combined. Add broth gradually and stir until well combined, then transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the stuffing has set in the center and the top is golden. Let stand for 5 minutes, garnish with parsley and serve.
- For a vegetarian version, omit the sausage. Melt all butter together in the skillet and move on to the remainder of step 3.
- For a sweeter stuffing, use sweetened dried cranberries.
- For a more moist stuffing, add a little apple cider or more chicken stock before baking.