Apple Nachos with Spiced Nut Butter
Total Time: 30 mins
Hands-on Time: 20 mins
Makes: 6 servings
5 to 6 green apples, cored and sliced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic Cinnamon, divided
1/3 cup nut butter (cashew, almond or peanut)
2 teaspoons coconut oil, divided*
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Ginger
1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg
1 pinch Simply Organic Ground Cloves
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons slivered almonds
1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon, then lay apples flat on a plate or serving tray.
2. In the top of a double boiler or heat-proof bowl placed over a pot of barely simmering water, warm nut butter with 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil until melted. Mix in ginger, nutmeg and cloves and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
3. Using a spoon, drizzle spiced nut butter over apples.
4. Wash top pan of double boiler or heat-proof bowl and place again over simmering water. Add dark chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon coconut oil, stirring until melted.
5. Drizzle chocolate over apples.
6. Top apple nachos with coconut flakes and slivered almonds, and serve.
*Amount of oil needed may vary depending on nut butter used. Try starting with ½ teaspoon and adding more as needed.