Bean & Veggie Red Enchilada Lasagna
Total Time: 1 hrs 30 mins
Hands-on Time: 30 mins
Makes: 4–6 servings
FOR THE FILLING:
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ white or yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon sea or Himalayan pink salt
¼ teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
1 can (19 ounces) black beans
1 can (19 ounces) red kidney beans
1½ teaspoons Simply Organic® Minced Onion
1½ teaspoons Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
½ teaspoon Simply Organic® Paprika
2½ tablespoons (about 1 package) Simply Organic® Spicy Taco Seasoning Mix
1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1¾ cups water
FOR THE LASAGNA:
8 ounces prepared red enchilada sauce
4 large flour tortillas
2½ cups shredded cheese, divided (1½ cups for layers, 1 cup for topping)
Fresh cilantro or Simply Organic® Cilantro
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-x-9-inch baking dish or square casserole dish with a light layer of cooking oil.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and add onion, red pepper and minced garlic. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add beans, stirring to combine, then add minced onion, garlic powder, paprika and taco seasoning. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and water. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes to meld flavors and reduce to chili-like thickness. Remove from heat.
- Assemble the lasagna:
- Spread half of the enchilada sauce over bottom of pan.
- Lay one tortilla over sauce.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup cheese over tortilla, spread one-third of filling over cheese, then sprinkle on another ¼ cup cheese. Top with another tortilla.
- Repeat the sequence two more times, finishing with the fourth tortilla.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes, until cheese is golden, melted and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve topped with cilantro, sour cream and chopped tomatoes.
Make sure to let the baked lasagna rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving, as this helps the layers stay together when slicing.
If you end up with leftover filling, freeze and enjoy at a later date.
Want to meal prep this recipe? Make the entire lasagna ahead of time and refrigerate overnight. Add 15 to 20 minutes to baking time.
For a less hot-spicy version, try our Southwest (milder) or Mild Taco (mildest) Seasoning Mix.
From this recipe
Simply Organic Simply Organic Garlic Powder 3.64 oz. SKU: 18516$8.99
Simply Organic Simply Organic Black Pepper, Medium Grind 2.31 oz. SKU: 18523$7.89
Simply Organic Simply Organic Minced Onion 2.21 oz. SKU: 18520$6.29
Simply Organic Simply Organic Paprika, Ground 2.96 oz. SKU: 18765$6.79
Simply Organic Simply Organic Spicy Taco Seasoning Mix 1.13 oz. SKU: 18959$2.19
Simply Organic Simply Organic Cilantro 0.78 oz. SKU: 18601$5.89
Simply Organic Simply Organic Southwest Taco Seasoning Mix 1.13 oz. SKU: 18533$2.19
Simply Organic Simply Organic Mild Taco Seasoning Mix 1.00 oz. SKU: 15758$2.19