Dairy-Free Saffron Risotto with Pan-Seared Shrimp
Total Time: 1 hrs 20 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 40 mins
Makes: 4 servings
This dairy-free seafood risotto is vibrantly colored and boldly flavored with saffron, cayenne and white wine. A lightened-up take on classic risotto, this recipe uses olive oil, vegan butter, and nutritional yeast to create a delicious, creamy risotto that you’d never know was dairy free. For a vegan risotto, leave out the shrimp.
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon SO Spanish Saffron 0.5g
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Medium Grind Black Pepper
- 1/2 cup Simply Organic Nutritional Yeast
- 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, divided
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 1/4 teaspoon sea or pink Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 cups dry Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons dry white wine, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (30 to 35 count)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
- Lemon wedges, for serving
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring broth to a simmer, then cover and keep warm over
2. In a Dutch oven or pot over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add onions and salt,
then cook 5 to 7 minutes, until softened and translucent. Add garlic powder and saffron, then
cook 30 seconds. Add rice and cook 3 more minutes, stirring constantly, until edges become
3. Stir in 1 cup wine and cook, stirring constantly until fully absorbed. Stir in 4 cups warm broth,
reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer risotto 15 more minutes, stirring twice, until most
of the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil until
shimmering. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes, until pink and translucent. Remove from heat and
toss with parsley.
5. Add remaining 1 cup broth to risotto and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until creamy.
6. Off heat, stir in remaining tablespoon butter, remaining 2 tablespoons wine, and nutritional
yeast, then cover and let stand 5 minutes.
7. Serve with shrimp and lemon wedges.
Recipe Tip Unless you like a lot of spicy heat, start with 1/8 teaspoon of the cayenne pepper, taste, then add more if you want more heat.
From this recipe
Simply Organic Simply Organic Spanish Saffron 0.018 oz. SKU: 19588$15.99
Simply Organic Simply Organic Nutritional Yeast 1.32 oz. SKU: 19560$8.99
Simply Organic Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper 2.89 oz. SKU: 18761$4.08
Simply Organic Simply Organic Black Pepper, Medium Grind 2.31 oz. SKU: 18523$5.01
Simply Organic Simply Organic Garlic Powder 3.64 oz. SKU: 18516$6.09