Roasted Eggplant Lasagna with Thyme
Total Time: 1 hrs 20 mins
Hands-on Time: 45 mins
Makes: 6 servings
2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 pound ricotta
2 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
3/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder, divided
3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
3/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Thyme, divided
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper, divided
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Parsley
1 Simply Organic Bay Leaf
1 pinch Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes
1 teaspoon sugar
2 large tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
1/4 cup chiffonade basil leaves, divided
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and grease foil.
2. Arrange eggplant slices on baking sheets and brush with 1/4 cup olive oil. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine ricotta, eggs, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Stir until well combined, then set aside.
4. In a medium-sized pot over medium heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
5. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, parsley, bay leaf, crushed red pepper and tomato paste. Stir until well combined and let cook for 1 minute.
6. Using a sharp knife, break up tomatoes while still in can. Add to pot and break up further. Add sugar and stir to combine. Bring heat to a low simmer and cook down for 20 minutes, until thickened. Turn off heat and set aside.
7. Adjust oven temperature to 375 degrees. Onto the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish, spoon a ladleful of sauce. Place a layer of eggplant slices on top of the sauce, then a layer of tomato slices on top of the eggplant.
8. Dollop ricotta mixture over tomatoes and use a spatula to spread in an even layer. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella over ricotta mixture, then 1 tablespoon basil.
9. Continue layering for 3 layers in the following order: eggplant, tomatoes, sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, basil, reserving some basil for garnish. Once you lay the last layer of eggplant slices, top only with sauce, remaining mozzarella and remaining Parmesan.
10. Cover baking dish with loosely tented aluminum foil, place on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
11. Remove foil and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven, let rest for 15 minutes, then garnish with remaining basil.
From this recipe
Simply Organic Simply Organic Garlic Powder 3.64 oz. SKU: 18516$8.31
Simply Organic Simply Organic Thyme Leaf 0.78 oz. SKU: 18613$5.39
Simply Organic Simply Organic Black Pepper, Medium Grind 2.31 oz. SKU: 18523$6.99
Simply Organic Simply Organic Parsley 0.26 oz. SKU: 18522$4.59
Simply Organic Simply Organic Bay Leaf 0.14 oz. SKU: 18764$7.59
Simply Organic Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper 1.59 oz. SKU: 18603$5.49