Szechuan-Inspired Shrimp Wonton Cups with Five Spice
Total Time: 45 mins
Hands-on Time: 30 mins
Makes: 12 wonton cups
FOR THE WONTON CUPS:
24 square wonton wrappers
FOR THE SAUCE:
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch
FOR THE SHRIMP:
2 pounds uncooked peeled, deveined and tail-less shrimp (31-40 shrimp per pound)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sea or Himalayan pink salt
½ teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Five Spice Powder
1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
¾ teaspoon Simply Organic® Onion Powder
½ teaspoon Simply Organic® Crushed Red Pepper
FOR THE FINISHED CUPS:
1 cup crispy chow mein noodles
½ cup fresh cilantro or ¼ cup Simply Organic® Cilantro
½ cup green onion, diced
½ cup peanuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat cups of a 12-muffin tin with oil. Place 2 wonton wrappers in each cup, pressing into bottom and side. Where wonton wrappers overlap, brush with a little water to seal.
- Bake for 12 to 20 minutes, or until crisp and golden (cooking time will depend on thickness of wrappers; begin checking at 12 minutes).
- In a small bowl, add soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili sauce, honey and the 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Whisk together until well mixed, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss shrimp with cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat. Add shrimp, cook 3 to 5 minutes, then add five spice powder, garlic powder, onion powder and crushed red pepper. Cook and stir for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add sauce and cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens and shrimp are cooked through. If sauce is too thick, add ¼ to ½ cup water to thin, 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time. Remove shrimp from heat.
- Mix crispy chow mein noodles with shrimp and immediately spoon mixture into baked wonton cups.
- Top each with chopped peanuts, diced green onions a big pinch of cilantro. Serve!
To Make the Wonton Cups:
To Make the Sauce and Shrimp:
To Make the Dish:
To save time if making for an evening party, simply bake the wonton cups in the morning or afternoon and prepare the toppings. Then, make the shrimp filling and sauce just before serving.
These appetizers have a spicy kick! If you want to tone down the spice level, start with ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper.
From this recipe
Simply Organic Simply Organic Five Spice Powder 2.01 oz. SKU: 19519$7.89
Simply Organic Simply Organic Garlic Powder 3.64 oz. SKU: 18516$8.99
Simply Organic Simply Organic Onion Powder 3.00 oz. SKU: 18608$6.79
Simply Organic Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper 1.59 oz. SKU: 18603$5.89
Simply Organic Simply Organic Black Pepper, Medium Grind 2.31 oz. SKU: 18523$7.89
Simply Organic Single Origin by Simply Organic Californian Garlic, Organic 2.79 oz. SKU: 19834$9.09
Simply Organic Single Origin by Simply Organic Californian Onion, Organic 2.86 oz. SKU: 19833$9.09