Spicy Tuna Pasta with Oregano and Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Total Time: 0 hrs 30 mins
Hands-on Time: 0 hrs 15 mins
Makes: 4-6 servings
Hosting a Feast of The Seven Fishes or just need an elegant pasta dish to serve during the busy holiday season? We used Simply Organic Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano and Italian Seasoning to create a spicy & herbaceous pasta dish. It’s studded with oil-packed tuna, sun dried tomatoes, capers and lemon so it’s full in flavor but takes no time at all. Plus, using a high-end oil-packed tuna is a great wait to serve fish without having to worry about having access to fresh catch.
- 1/2 tablespoon SO Italian Seasoning organic
- 2 teaspoons SO Crushed Hot Red Pepper org
- 1 teaspoon SO Oregano leaf c/s org
- 1 pound pasta of choice (we used a rustic linguine)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup panko
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, optional
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 (5 ounce) jars oil-packed tuna, drained and broken up with a fork
- juice and zest of one lemon
- chopped fresh parsley, optional
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- freshly ground Pecorino Romano, for serving
- optional garnish: green olives, baby arugula, peppadew peppers
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add panko and Italian seasoning. Cook until the panko turns golden brown. Place panko in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Wipe out skillet and add remaining olive oil. Heat to a shimmer over medium heat. Add garlic, anchovies (if using), red pepper flakes and oregano and cook until anchovies start to melt and the garlic is fragrant (about 1 minute).
4. Lower the heat and add the capers, sun-dried tomatoes and white wine. Cook until reduced by half, then add cooked pasta and stir to combine. Off the heat, add the tuna, lemon juice and zest and a bit of the reserved pasta water (just enough to form a sauce). Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the pasta topped with toasted panko, chopped parsley and freshly grated Pecorino Romano.