1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic Southwest Seasoning
30 to 35 corn tortilla chips
4 ounces grated Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1 small jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional)
1/2 avocado, chopped
chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
3. Once hot, add onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until softened.
4. Add the black beans and 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Southwest Seasoning. Stir to combine and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Lay tortilla chips out on a baking sheet in an even layer.
6. Spoon half the bean mixture on top of the chips, then half the cheese and red peppers. Repeat with another layer of tortilla chips, bean mixture, cheese and red peppers.
7. Place the jalapeno slices on top if using.
8. Sprinkle the remaining ½ teaspoon Simply Organic Southwest Seasoning on top of the entire baking sheet then transfer to the oven for 5 to 7 minutes until cheese is melted.
9. Top with the chopped avocado and garnish with cilantro.
Add cooked shredded chicken or ground beef for a heartier version. Serve with sour cream.