1 package Simply Organic Peppercorn Garlic Marinade Mix
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water, plus more for cooking pasta
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 eggplant (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped plum or Roma tomatoes or 1 can (14 ounces) crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons capers, drained
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
1 pound linguine or spaghetti
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine marinade mix, water, 1/4 cup olive oil and vinegar. Stir until well blended.
2. Add eggplant, stir to coat, then cover. Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
3. In a large sauté pan over medium-low heat, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 1 more minute.
4. Add eggplant, tomatoes and capers. Increase heat to medium and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until eggplant is softened and sauce starts to thicken.
5. Fold in crushed red pepper, salt and parsley.
6. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons pasta water.
7. Toss pasta with reserved pasta water, then gently fold sauce into pasta.
8. Garnish with parsley, crushed red pepper and Parmesan cheese, if desired.