3 pounds apples, peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 Simply Organic Madagascar Vanilla Bean, scraped
3/4 cup brown sugar, divided
3/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Allspice
1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Cloves
1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
1/4 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
9-inch unbaked pie crust
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss apples with apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine sugar and vanilla bean. Stir until well combined, then add 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, 3 tablespoons flour and salt.
4. Pour over apples and mix until well coated, then put in prepared, unbaked pie crust.
5. In a medium-sized bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and butter. Mix until well combined, then add remaining 1/2 cup flour and oats. Spread evenly over pie filling. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Use a mix of tart and sweet apples. Cortland, Fuji, Granny Smith, Jonagold and Rome Beauty are all good choices for baking.