Spring Stuffed Shells with Spinach, Ricotta, Broccoli Rabe and Peas
Total Time: 1 hrs 30 mins
Hands-on Time: 45 mins
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
FOR THE STUFFED SHELLS:
1 bunch broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
10 ounces frozen peas
12 ounces jumbo pasta shells
2 cups ricotta cheese, divided
5 ounces baby spinach
1 cup packed parsley stems and leaves
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Lemon Pepper
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Oregano
2 eggs, beaten
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
Sea salt or pink Himalayan salt, to taste
Simply Organic Black Pepper, to taste
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
FOR THE PESTO:
3 cups packed basil leaves
1/2 cup pine nuts
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
3/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and set up an ice bath. Add broccoli rabe and cook for about 3 minutes, until bright green and stems are tender. Remove broccoli rabe from water, set in ice bath for 1 minute, then drain thoroughly and finely chop.
- Add peas to the same pot of boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes, until bright green and tender. Drain with a spider strainer and set in an ice bath for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- To the same pot, add pasta shells and cook for about 9 minutes, until al dente. Drain and let cool slightly.
- In a high-speed blender, combine 1/2 cup ricotta, spinach, parsley, garlic powder, lemon pepper, crushed red pepper and oregano. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach and ricotta mixture, remaining 1 1/2 cups ricotta, eggs, lemon zest, broccoli rabe and peas. Stir until well combined, then add Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- To the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan, evenly spread 1 1/2 cups ricotta filling. Divide remaining ricotta filling among pasta shells. Arrange shells in the pan, then evenly sprinkle with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine all ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Drizzle pesto over baked shells, top with crushed red pepper and serve.
To Make the Stuffed Shells:
To Make the Pesto:
From this recipe
Simply Organic Simply Organic Garlic Powder 3.64 oz. SKU: 18516$8.99
Simply Organic Simply Organic Lemon Pepper 3.17 oz. SKU: 18519$7.89
Simply Organic Simply Organic Crushed Red Pepper 1.59 oz. SKU: 18603$5.89
Simply Organic Simply Organic Oregano 0.75 oz. SKU: 18521$5.89
Simply Organic Simply Organic Black Pepper, Medium Grind 2.31 oz. SKU: 18523$7.89