2½ to 2¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 cup whole wheat flour
2¼ teaspoons instant yeast
2 teaspoons kosher salt
¾ cup mashed baked, peeled sweet potato
½ cup whole milk
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup honey
1 teaspoon Simply Organic Vanilla Extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 teaspoons Simply Organic Seeds of choice (white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat 2½ cups flour, whole wheat flour, yeast and salt at low speed until combined.
- In a small saucepan, warm sweet potato, milk, butter, honey and vanilla over low heat until butter is melted and an instant-read thermometer registers 120 to 130 degrees. Add warm sweet potato mixture to flour mixture and beat at low speed for about 1 minute, until combined.
- Switch mixer to dough hook attachment. Beat for 12 to 13 minutes, until a smooth, elastic dough forms; if dough is too sticky, add up to remaining ¼ cup flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Turn out onto a very lightly floured surface and shape into a smooth round.
- Lightly oil a medium bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (about 75 degrees) for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Lightly oil a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 9 portions, shape each into smooth rounds and place in prepared pan. Cover and let rise again in a warm, draft-free place for 35 to 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush top of rolls with egg, and sprinkle with desired seeds.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 200 degrees. Let cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.