Ingredients for the crab cakes:
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Frontier Organic Seafood Seasoning (Original or Reduced Sodium)
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat *
- 1 1/3 cups fine bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Ingredients for the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Organic Seafood Seasoning (Original or Reduced Sodium)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Ingredients for poached eggs:
- 6 large eggs, for poaching
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
* The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch lists the following varieties of crab as “Best Choice”: blue crab (trotline-caught), Dungeness crab (California, Oregon, Washington), kona crab, snow crab (Eastern Bering Sea, U.S., Southern Gulf of St. Lawrence, Canada), stone crab.
To make crab cakes:
- Combine 1 teaspoon lemon juice, slightly beaten eggs, mayonnaise, and 2 teaspoons of Seafood Seasoning in a medium bowl until well mixed.
- Stir in crab meat, and then add the breadcrumbs.
- Cover and refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes, while you make the sauce, below.
- After refrigeration, form crab mixture into 6 large patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Keep cakes warm while you poach the eggs.
To make sauce:
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add flour. Whisk for 3 to 4 minutes, until flour darkens slightly.
- Gradually add in heavy cream and milk, whisking. Stir in ½ teaspoon Seafood Seasoning and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Keep sauce warm over low heat.
To poach eggs:
- Crack the unbeaten eggs into six separate ramekins, leaving the yolks intact.
- Fill a deep saucepan 2/3 full with water, heating until bubbles just start to form, and then add the vinegar.
- Slowly and carefully pour each egg individually from the ramekin into the hot water and let lightly simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, until the whites become opaque. Make sure eggs do not touch each other. If necessary, cook eggs in batches.
- Remove eggs and serve immediately.
Place warm crab cake on plate, put poached egg on top of the crab cake, and drizzle lemon cream sauce over the top.