Bulk Bin Bonanza:
Ways to Discover New Bulk Natural Foods
The bulk natural foods section is a treasure trove, full of flavorful, colorful and healthful ingredients. While buying grains, legumes and even spices from the bulk section is habit for you, those staples are just the beginning. Next time you shop, be adventurous and try one of these new foods — incorporating their magic into your diet is easier than you think!
- Use to season popcorn along with savory spices such as garlic powder, cayenne, and sea salt or a spice blend like Italian Seasoning.
- Stir into guacamole.
- Combine with yogurt or clay and use as a facial mask.
- Add to smoothies.
- Fill your own supplement capsules.
- Use as an egg substitute in baking recipes: 1 tablespoon finely ground chia seeds mixed with 1/4 c water equals one egg.
- Toast seeds and use in place of graham cracker crumbs for cheesecake base.
- Add ground seeds to butter and nut butters.
- Add to granola and muesli recipes.
Wheat Grass Powder
- Add to pesto and guacamole.
- Combine with yogurt, agave syrup or honey and fresh berries, and then freeze to make frozen yogurt.
- Stir about 2 teaspoons into quick bread recipes, along with the dry ingredients.
- Add to salad dressings.
- Add to hot or cold breakfast cereals.
- Partner with nuts and seeds to make trail mix.
- Use in place of raisins in scones and muffins.
- Combine with nuts and ground dates to make energy bars or balls.
- Use (sparingly) to color cake frostings and to make red velvet cake without artificial red dye.
- Add to homemade lip balm for pretty color.
- Stir into soups, gravies, and sauces.
- Include in recipes for homemade pasta.
- Stir into fried rice dishes.
- Include in apple pie and cobbler fillings.
- Dip pieces into melted chocolate and then coconut.
- Add to cranberry sauce.
- Use to thicken soups and stews with tomato flavor.
- Add to risotto and Spanish rice dishes.
- Include in meat rubs, along with grilling spices.
- Use to make instant tomato paste, sauce or juice by adding water.
Orange Peel Granules
- Add to hot tea or warm milk.
- Stir into batter for sponge cakes and sugar cookies.
- Combine with chili pepper flakes to flavor oil for marinades.
- Use in any recipe in place of orange zest.
Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Add to sweet potato casseroles and stews.
- Sprinkle with tamari, roast in a warm oven, and then toss in green salads.
- Include in recipe for popcorn balls.
- Sprinkle atop rice or tapioca pudding.