Homemade BBQ Sauce for Cocktail Sausages
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Hands-on Time: 15 mins
- Makes: 20 servings
The best BBQ sauce doesn't come from a bottle; it's created from the perfect balance of sweet and heat. This homemade BBQ sauce is delicious with organic cocktail sausages, but also can be enjoyed anytime you'd normally reach for the bottled version!
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Oregano Leaf
- 1 can organic tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons unsulphured molasses
- 2 packages organic cocktail sausages (12-ounce packages)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, oregano, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined.
3. In a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat add the tablespoon of olive oil. Once hot, add in the diced onion and sauté until translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add in the cocktail sausages and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Pour the sauce over top, stir and place into a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve warm.
Crock pot method In a small skillet, saute onion and garlic in olive oil as described above. Instead of transferring to the oven, combine onion/garlic mixture, cocktail sausages and sauce in a crock pot on high heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and serve.