Lentil Sloppy Joes with Cilantro Cabbage Slaw
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Hands-on Time: 35 mins
- Makes: 2 sliders/person servings
Sweet, spicy and satisfying, these hearty lentil sloppy joes are a vegetarian-friendly take on the traditional saucy sandwich.
- 1 tablespoon Simply Organic Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cumin Seed Ground
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Ground Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Coarse Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Black Pepper Medium Grind
- 1 pound organic brown lentils
- 5 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups organic ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Frontier Maple Syrup Granules
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small head of purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced thin on an angle
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/4 teaspoon Frontier Sea Salt
For the Slaw
1. Combine light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, lime, jalapeno, 1 clove garlic, purple cabbage, fresh cilantro, green onions, carrots and sea salt in a large bowl.Refrigerate for one hour or until ready to serve.
For the Sloppy Joes
1. Rinse and drain one pound of lentils. Place them into a large saucepan. Pour in five cups of cool water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain and set off to the side.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the ketchup, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, water, maple syrup, mustard and vinegar. Whisk to combine and set aside.
3. Preheat a Dutch oven over medium heat with a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, saute the peppers and onions together until soft and translucent. Next, add in the minced cloves of garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Reduce the temperature to low and pour in the sauce. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the drained lentils, stir to combine and heat for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
5. Spoon the lentil sloppy joe filling on a whole wheat slider bun and top with the slaw and serve.
6. Sloppy joe filling can be kept warm in a crock pot set on low or warm setting.