Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Makes: 16 servings
A rich, dark chocolate cupcake one-bowl recipe made with unsweetened cocoa powder and coffee, then smothered in cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Simply Organic Nutmeg Ground
- 16 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup organic white cane sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups white all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- pomegranate seeds, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and chocolate chips. Once melted, add cocoa powder and brewed coffee. Stir until well combined. Add sugar and stir until well combined and smooth (rather than grainy).
3. Remove pot from heat and add milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, whisking continuously until well combined.
4. Allow to cool for about 4 minutes, add eggs and whisk until well combined.
5. Add flour, baking soda and salt, folding them into the wet ingredients until the batter is thick and easily pulls away from the sides of the pot.
6. Line a muffin pan with baking cups. Scoop batter into each baking cup. Bake for about 16 minutes, testing with a toothpick until it comes out clean.
7. Remove cupcakes form the oven and cool on a cooling rack.
8. While the cupcakes cool, prepare the cream cheese frosting. In a small mixing bowl, combine softened butter and cream cheese. Mix until creamy. Add powdered sugar and whisk until well combined. Add remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg and whisk until well combined.
9. Spread frosting on cupcakes and top with pomegranate seeds, if desired.