Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Makes: 6 servings
Swirls of brown sugar, melted butter and organic cinnamon turn fluffy whole wheat pancakes into the ultimate cinnamon roll experience in this simple recipe. Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Simply Organic Cinnamon 2.45 oz.
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract 2 fl. oz.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted melted butter, divided
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 cups whole white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Chopped walnuts, for garnish (optional)
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Whisk until well combined. Pour into a squeeze bottle and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, maple syrup, remaining 6 tablespoons butter and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
3. In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and 2 remaining cinnamon. Whisk until well combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
5. Grease a griddle and preheat to low. Pour the pancake batter on the griddle to form individual pancakes. Once bubbles appear on the tops of the pancakes, swirl cinnamon roll topping over the top of the pancakes, being careful to focus on the center and avoid the sides of the pancakes. Allow the cinnamon roll topping to set for about 30 seconds, then flip the pancakes and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Garnish with chopped walnuts, if desired, and serve with maple syrup.
For an alternative to the buttermilk, substitute 2 cups whole milk combined with the juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons). Allow mixture to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before use. If you don’t have a squeeze bottle, the cinnamon roll topping can be poured on the batter from the bowl; it will just be more difficult to maintain even swirls.